In 2006 a group of people came together with a vision for licensed child care in Wellesley. Inspiring Minds Early Learning Centre was established in order to fulfill this growing need in Wellesley and surrounding area. We opened on June 2, 2008 and are honoured to be an integral part of many children’s and families’ lives.
Inspiring Minds Early Learning Centre is licensed for 80 children from 16 months to 12 years of age. We use a number of documents to support how we believe children learn, including Early Learning for Every Child Today (ELECT) to guide our program. ELECT has six guiding principles that reflect beliefs, values, experience and current research.
The principles are:
- Early child development sets the foundation for lifelong learning, behaviour and health.
- Partnerships with families and communities strengthen the ability of early childhood settings to meet the needs of young children.
- Respect for diversity, equity and inclusion are prerequisites for honouring children’s rights, optimal development and learning
- A planned curriculum supports early learning.
- Play is a means of early learning that capitalizes on children’s natural curiosity and exuberance
- Knowledgeable, responsive early childhood professionals are essential
We also use four foundations, as outlined in “How Does Learning Happen? Ontario’s Pedagogy for the Early Years”, which include:
Inspiring Minds Early Learning Centre follows and emergent curriculum. We believe that children are capable, competent and social learners who bring their own experiences, knowledge and wonder to our program.
Curriculum ideas are based on interactions with and observations of the children by the Registered Early Childhood Educators. Curriculum emerges from the children and from what they are curious, what they find of value or interesting. We believe that all aspects of our program, including lunch, washroom routines and transitions, are part of our curriculum.